Tail 5.9 was released Apologies to the developers behind the project. He said that Tel 5.8 users were “severely” affected by the issues but that they have now fixed most of them in this update. To be fair, the 5.8 update was the biggest update since the project began, so it’s not surprising, with so many moving parts, that issues were discovered.
The list of changes and updates in this update is quite short but the list of fixed issues and known issues is a bit longer, they are as follows:
Changes and updates
- Update Tor Browser to 102.7.
- Update the Tor client to 0.4.7.13.
- Simplify Tor Connection Assistant’s error screen when connecting automatically.
- Optimize backup utility vocabulary for persistent storage.
- Remove the confirmation dialog when starting an insecure browser.
- Fix support for some graphics cards:
- Update the Linux kernel to 6.0.12. This generally improves support for new hardware: graphics, Wi-Fi, etc.
- Remove from troubleshooting mode 2 boot options that break support for some graphics cards: nomodeset and vga=normal.
- Please let us know if your graphics cards support is fixed or still broken.
- Fix starting AppImages that use Qt toolkits like Feather and Bitcoin-Qt.
- Fix clipboard encryption and decryption in Cleopatra.
- Fix at least 2 cases of persistent storage not being enabled:
- When activation takes longer.
- When the Dotfiles feature includes symbolic links.
- Please keep reporting issues with the new persistent storage. We give them top priority!
- Fix 3 clipboard operations with KeePassXC:
- Copying the password to unlock the database
- Using the AutoType feature
- Automatically clearing passwords from clipboard after 10 seconds
- Fix the display of the Applications menu that was installed as additional software in some GTK3 applications.
- Localize the Tor Browser home page when starting with the Tor Connection Assistant.
Please continue to report issues with new persistent storage and graphics cards that worked with Tails when launching.
There are no min and max buttons in the Tor browser.
To work around this:
- Right-click the Tor Browser tab in the window list at the bottom of the screen.
- select Minimize or To do more.
The welcome screen and tour connection do not fit at 800×600.
The top part of the welcome screen and some of the Tor Connection Assistant buttons are cut off on smaller displays (800×600) like virtual machines.
You can press Alt+S To start the tail.
Tor connection progress bar stuck around 50%
When using the custom Tor obfs4 bridge, the Tor connection progress bar sometimes gets stuck halfway through and becomes extremely slow.
To fix this, you can either:
- Close and reopen the Tor connection to speed up the initial connection.
- Try a different obfs4 bridge.
This issue only affects older obfs4 bridges and does not occur with obfs4 bridges running version 0.0.12 or later.
Although these known issues are a bit annoying, users won’t have too much of a problem upgrading to the latest release. When you boot to Tales 5.0 or later, you will receive a message informing you that an upgrade is available. It should download and install without issue but if you want to update manually, Follow the instructions here.