RE4 Remake Handcannon: Unlock, Specs & Tips
One of the RE4 Remake’s best weapons is the Handcannon, but it is not easy to unlock. This Magnum is one of the most powerful ones and even has a special upgrade that allows it to have infinite ammo. We have entailed all the information you need in order to unlock it. Additionally, we have also listed all the stats and upgrades for the gun.
How To Unlock The Handcannon In Resident Evil 4 Remake
In order to unlock the extremely powerful handcannon in Resident Evil 4 Remake, you need to go through quite the ordeal. It is understandable that such a strong weapon is gated behind this long and arduous process so that people who are playing for the first time do not steamroll through all the content with this gun.
The Handcannon is essentially a magnum that packs a hefty punch. Here are all the steps you need to take in order to unlock it: To start the process of unlocking this devastating gun, first, you need to complete RE4 Remake once on any difficulty.
- Doing so will unlock a new difficulty that you can try out, called Professional Mode.
- As the name suggests, this mode is extremely difficult and disables auto-save, making the enemies harder to deal with.
- Once you have unlocked the Professional Mode, start a new save file on it.
- For the sake of unlocking the Handcannon, you cannot use the same save file either since that lets you carry over ammo and other items.
Once you have started a fresh run on Professional Mode on a new save file, all you have to do is finish RE4 Remake as you would normally. But this isn’t an easy task, and it will most likely take you several attempts in order to complete it.
- The only catch here is that you cannot use any of the Bonus Weapons during this playthrough if you want to unlock the Handcannon.
- The bonus weapons include the Primal Knife and the Chicago Sweeper, along with the Infinite Rocket Launcher.
- Once you have cleared in Professional Mode, you have successfully unlocked the Handcannon in RE4 Remake.
- Keep in mind that there are no rank requirements for unlocking this weapon.
Now that you have taken all the necessary steps in order to unlock the handcannon, all that is left is to purchase it.
Purchasing The Handcannon
After clearing Resident Evil 4 Remake at least once on Professional Mode, you will get access to the powerful handcannon. But obtaining it isn’t as straightforward as it may seem. You do not directly get the gun; in fact, you have to purchase it. Here are all the steps you need to take in order to do that:
- In the main menu, navigate to the Bonuses section.
- View the bonus content and make your way to the Extra Content Shop option.
In the Extra Content Shop, you will see the Handcannon listed for 1,000 CP. You can purchase it from here.
- After you purchase the weapon, it will be available via the Storage Menu on any Typewriter.
Now you can equip and use the handcannon after transferring it into your inventory.
Specs For The Handcannon
When you initially unlock the gun, it will be your usual run-of-the-mill magnum. What this means is that the gun will have extremely high damage output but will be lacking in the other departments. It has a slow reload time and a small ammo capacity. Although, these specs can be changed to an extent by upgrading the weapon. Here are all the stats of the Handcannon at Level 1:
|Rate Of Fire
Moving on, the next thing that we will take a look at for the Resident Evil 4 Remake Handcannon is the upgrades that are provided for the weapon. There are 5 main categories that you can upgrade in the Handcannon. These are:
- Power (Firepower)
- Ammo Capacity
- Reload Speed
- Rate of Fire
The first upgrade that the Handcannon has is its power. The weapon is known for its explosive firepower and can easily one-shot a lot of enemies. There are 5 levels of Power for the gun, and each level enhances the base power of the gun by a considerable amount. Here are all the upgrades for power along with the cost to upgrade:
|Cost To Upgrade
- At Level 1, the weapon has a base power of 12.0, and in order to level it up to Level 2, players need to spend a total of 40,000 ptas. Which then increases its power to 18.0.
- When you are at Level 2, the base power of the weapon is increased to 18.0, and in order to level it up to Level 3, you need to spend 50,000 ptas.
- After reaching Level 3, the base power is increased to 24.0, and in order to upgrade it, players need to spend 90,000 ptas.
- At Level 4, the base power of the weapon is increased to 30.0, and the players need to spend a whopping 120,000 ptas in order to max it out at level 5.
The Ammo Capacity is an essential upgrade that cannot be overlooked in any case. The Handcannon has a low ammo capacity, to begin with, which is why it is important that you level it up to the max. This way, you can store more ammo in the gun, and you will not have to worry about reloading the gun while you are in combat. Here are all the upgrades for ammo capacity, along with the cost to upgrade:
|Ammo Capacity Upgrades
|Cost To Upgrade
- At Level 1, the base ammo capacity of the handcannon is 5, which isn’t that much when you consider the playstyle of this magnum.
- In order to level it up to Level 2, players need to spend a total of 10,000 ptas, which bumps up the ammo capacity to 6.
- To reach Level 3, players need to spend 15,000 ptas, in order to level it up.
- To take it to Level 4, players need to spend 20,000 ptas.
- The ammo capacity of the handcannon maxes out at Level 5 with the capacity of 9 bullets, and players need to spend 25,000 ptas.
The next upgrade that we will be talking about is the Reload Speed of the gun. With this upgrade, the time it takes to reload the Handcannon is cut down.
|Reload Speed Upgrades
|Cost To Upgrade
|Round Reloaded At A Time
- At the Base level, players can reload a single round at a time.
- To increase the reload speed, players need to spend 15,000 ptas to bring it up to 2 rounds.
- In order to reach Level 3, players need to spend 20,000 ptas, which will bring up the rounds reloaded at a single time to 3.
- To get it to Level 4, players need to spend 25,000 ptas, which will bring up the rounds reloaded at a single time to 4.
- In order to max out the Reload Speed at Level 5, players need to spend 30,000 ptas, which will bring up the rounds reloaded at a single time to 5.
Rate Of Fire
Last but not least, we have the Rate Of Fire. This upgrade focuses on enhancing the overall rate of fire with each level, as the name suggests.
|Rate Of Fire Upgrades
|Cost To Upgrade
- At the Base level, players have a rate of fire of 0.52, which is relatively slow considering that the Handcannon is a magnum.
- To increase the rate of fire, players need to spend 10,000 ptas, to bring it up to 0.55.
- In order to reach Level 3, players need to spend 15,000 ptas, which will bring up the rate of fire to 0.58.
- To get it to Level 4, players need to spend 20,000 ptas, which will bring up the rate of fire to 0.61.
- In order to max out the Rate Of Fire at Level 5, players need to spend 25,000 ptas, which will bring up the rate of fire to 0.65.
The Exclusive Upgrade is unlocked once the other 4 stats have been maxed out. This means that in order to unlock the exclusive upgrade for the Handcannon in RE4 Remake, you need to have the following:
- Power: Level 5
- Ammo Capacity: Level 5
- Reload Speed: Level 5
- Rate Of Fire: Level 5
Once you have maxed out these stats, you can use your Exclusive Upgrade Ticket in order to unlock the Exclusive skill for the Handcannon. You have to spend 10,000 ptas, in addition to the ticket for this upgrade. With this upgrade, your ammunition for the Handcannon will never run out. In other words, you will have infinite ammo for this gun.
How To Use The Handcannon
The Handcannon is perhaps one of the, if not the best weapon in Resident Evil 4 Remake. It is a weapon capable of demolishing all enemies with ease, and using it will make you feel invincible. When it comes to actually using the Handcannon, here are the things that you should keep in mind:
- The main focus of the Handcannon is to fight against some of the tankiest and spongiest enemies.
- These enemies usually have large health pools and take a lot of ammo to kill.
- With the Exclusive Upgrade for the Handcannon, ammo should no longer be a problem, and you can use this gun to blow past any opposition.
Other than that, the Handcannon is focused mainly on single-target offense, making it ideal for fighting against enemies in one on one scenarios.
- Headshots are lethal with this gun due to its incredibly great damage, making it the perfect pick for people who prefer this style of play.
One of the reasons why the Handcannon is not good for fighting against multiple enemies is its rate of fire.
- This is perhaps its biggest downside, with a slow rate of fire and inherently low accuracy, making it not so good for dealing with crowds of enemies.
And that is all! We have entailed everything you need to know in order to unlock the Handcannon in RE4 Remake. After unlocking the gun, you can purchase it from the extra content shop and use it in subsequent runs to make quick work of enemies. It is an incredibly powerful gun, and once you have fully upgraded it, you also get the unique upgrade to have infinite ammo. In case you want to know more about the weapons, you can check out this detailed post in the community subreddit here.
While you are here, consider checking out our guide on Resident Evil 4 Remake: All Bosses. If you are interested in unlocking the thermal scope, then check out our guide on How To Get Thermal Scope. In case you were wondering about the wrench tool, look no further than our guide on How To Get Wrench Tool. If you are interested in unlocking the cat ears, check out our guide on How To Unlock Cat Ears.
Was this guide helpful? Let us know in the comments below!
Was this article helpful?
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍