Earlier today, Microsoft released KB5022370 dynamic update, which is labeled as “critical” for Windows 11 version 21H2. Dynamic Update helps optimize the Windows setup process, typically when a new feature update, such as the Windows 11 2022 Update, is released.
Support article for the new KB5022370 update Says that:
KB5022370: Set dynamic update for Windows 11, version 21H2.
This update makes improvements to the Setup binaries or any files that Setup uses for feature updates in Windows 11, version 21H2.
In a tech community Blog post About Windows 10 Dynamic Updates, Microsoft has explained in more detail about the various components and uses of Dynamic Updates. These packages include fixes to the Setup.exe binaries, SafeOS updates for the Windows Recovery Environment, and more:
As soon as a Windows 10 feature update is launched, whether from media or from an environment connected to the Windows Update service, Dynamic Update is one of the first steps. Windows 10 Setup reaches out to Internet-facing URLs hosted by Microsoft to fetch dynamic update content, then applies those updates to your OS installation media.
Materials obtained include:
- Setup updates: Fixes to setup binaries or any files that the setup feature uses for updates.
- Secure OS updates: Fixes for the “secure OS” used to update the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE).
- Servicing stack updates: Fixes that are necessary to resolve a Windows 10 servicing stack issue and thus require a feature update to complete.
- Latest cumulative update: Installs the latest cumulative quality update.
- Driver updates: The latest version of applicable drivers that has already been published by the manufacturer in Windows Update and is specifically targeted for dynamic update.
In addition to these updates, Dynamic Update will preserve Language Pack (LP) and Feature-on-Demand (FODs) content during the upgrade process. These are not updates to LPs and FODs, but a re-acquisition to ensure that the user has these elements as the update completes.
Dynamic updates are only available through the Microsoft Update Catalog. You can download it. By visiting this link.