Fixed: Modern Warfare Dev Error 6178 
A large number of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare players are experiencing random crashes on the desktop with a dialog box appearing at the time of the crash that reads “Fatal error: Dev error 6178” This error mostly appears during map loading. This is a very frustrating error as it makes the game unplayable for many users. Keep in mind, this error is specific, however, modern. War related errors include dev error 6068.
How to fix dev error 6178?
Dev error 6178 can be caused by various reasons like outdated graphics drivers, program conflicts, corrupt game files, incorrect game settings. This guide will discuss 12 different ways to solve Modern Warfare. These methods have helped many users to fix the error. Hopefully, they will also help you get rid of the error and get you back into the game quickly.
Update your graphics driver.
If you’re getting a dev error in Modern Warfare, there’s a high chance that the error is caused by outdated graphics drivers. You should update your GPU drivers to the latest version whenever it is available. Updating your graphics drivers can sometimes help resolve game crashing issues and other performance issues. Here are links to NVIDIA and AMD’s graphics driver download pages.
Disabling in-game overlays
Sometimes the overlay features of other applications can cause performance issues and crash issues. NVIDIA and AMD also have their own overlays that you can turn off from the Settings tab. You should also turn off the overlay features of any other apps like Origin, Discord, Teamspeak as they may also conflict with your game and cause it to crash. Therefore, we recommend closing any overlay apps that are running in the background on your computer.
Close unwanted programs.
If you have too many programs running in the background, it can affect your computer’s performance and cause games to crash. Close any background applications that you are not currently using from the system tray or task manager. After doing this launch the Modern Warfare application to check if the crashing persists.
Run the game as administrator.
Dev error 6178 can also be caused by not running the program with administrator privileges. You should try running the Modern Warfare application as an administrator. Doing so will give the Modern Warfare executable file full access to any game files on your PC. Follow the steps below to run the program as administrator.
- Right-click the Modern Warfare application on your desktop and select Properties.
- move on to compatibility Tab
- Tick mark on Run this program as administrator. the box
- Click Okay fine.
- Run Modern Warfare to see if the issue is resolved.
Repair game files via Battle.net.
Modern Warfare Repair by Battle.net can replace any corrupt game files that may be causing the game to crash. We recommend that you try this method before moving on to other solutions as it can easily resolve Dev Error 6178.
- First, launch Snowstorm Battle.net Launcher.
- Go to the Games tab and select Modern Warfare.
- Click on authoritiesTo the left of Redeem a code.
- Select now. Scan and repair.
- Wait for the verification to complete.
After the scan is complete, try running the game to see if the issue is resolved.
Set high priority in task manager.
According to some users, changing the processor priority from Normal or Low to High in Task Manager fixed the Modern Warfare Dev error. We recommend that you try this method before moving on to the other solutions mentioned below. Follow these steps to change Modern Warfare to high priority in Task Manager.
- Open Task Manager by pressing Alt+Control+Delete.
- Now on to the head Details Tab
- Find Modern Warfare in the list of programs.
- Right-click on the program and change the priority to High.
- See if the error still occurs while playing the game.
Change graphics settings.
Some users have reported that setting the texture resolution to Normal or High can fix Modern Warfare Dev Error 6178.
- Open Call of Duty Modern Warfare.
- Go to Settings > Graphics.
- Under the Details and structure Settings, Change Structure resolution Either normal or high.
- Restart the game to see if the issue is resolved.
Turn off Nvidia G-Sync.
Some NVIDIA users were able to fix the dev error by disabling G-Sync from the NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Right-click on the desktop and click NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Click the plus sign next to “display” Left side to expand and select list Set up G-Sync.
- Uncheck the next box. Enable G-Sync. and apply the settings.
- Restart your computer and see if you still get the error.
Update Windows 10.
Windows Updates can help you fix any bugs that may be causing performance issues and errors. We recommend that you try this method as it can fix Modern Warfare Dev Error.
- open up Windows search menu By pressing the Windows key on your keyboard.
- Type Windows Update in the search box, select Check for updates option
- Click on Check for updates, Windows will search for and download the latest update.
- After the download is complete, restart your computer to install the update.
Run Modern Warfare to see if the issue is resolved.
Run in windowed mode.
Playing in window has also helped some Modern Warfare users fix error 6178.
- Launch Call of Duty Modern Warfare.
- Go to Options > Graphics.
- Under the Display In Settings, change Display Mode to Window.
- Play the game to check if the dev error 6178 is still there.
Maximize the page file on Windows.
Some users were able to fix the error by enlarging the page file on their Windows. If there is not enough space in the Windows page file, it can cause games and other software to crash.
To enlarge a page file on Windows, follow all the steps below carefully.
Reinstall the game.
Sometimes Battle.net is unable to identify some corrupt game files during the repair process. The only way to fix this issue is to completely reinstall the game. Be sure not to pause the download process as this can damage the game file being downloaded, a known issue with Blizzard’s Battle.net client.
- Launch. Snowstorm Battle.net client on your computer.
- Find and click Call of Duty Modern Warfare from the list on the left.
- Now on the right side, click on authorities drop-down menu and select Uninstall the game.
- After the game is uninstalled, download Modern Warfare again.
- Run the game to see if the dev error is resolved.
This concludes our Modern Warfare Dev Error 6178 troubleshooting guide. All these methods proved to be very useful in fixing fatal error 6178 by a large number of Modern Warfare users. We hope you can successfully troubleshoot this error by following these solutions. If the error still occurs after trying these solutions, get in touch. Battle.net support And they will help you identify the exact cause of the problem after providing you with all the necessary information.
Are you experiencing performance issues in Modern Warfare and want to know the best settings for high frame rates and optimal performance? Then check out our guide on how to get high FPS in Call of Duty: Warzone.
Was this article helpful?
Thanks! Share your feedback with us. ⚡
How can we improve this post? Help us. ✍