35 Best Nintendo Switch Games To Play In 2023
Since its debut, Nintendo’s Switch has been the most popular home gaming system. Having both the fun games of the Wii and the flexibility of the PS4 was a huge win for gamers. Despite the Switch’s widespread appeal, gamers are increasingly looking elsewhere since no new Switch titles are scheduled for release in the near future. However, worry not, for this article lists the Best 35 Switch Games and then discusses the pros and cons of each.
Here are all the picks, compared, with awards, developer, and release dates.
|Super Mario Maker 2||Best Family Game 2019||Nintendo Entertainment Planning & Development||June 28, 2019|
|Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury||NAVGTR Award||Nintendo Entertainment Planning & Development||February 12, 2021|
|Kirby and the Forgotten Land||The Game Award for Best Family Game
|HAL Laboratory||March 25, 2022|
|Baba Is You||BAFTA Games Award Nominee||Hempuli Oy||March 13, 2019|
|Dodgeball academia||NYX Game Award||Pocket Trap||August 5, 2021|
|Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze||Best Platformer||Retro Studios||February 13, 2014|
|Metroid Dread||The Game Award for Best Action/Adventure
|Nintendo||October 8, 2021|
|The Wild at Heart||Best Indie Game 2018||Moonlight Kids||May 20, 2021|
|Tetris Effect: Connected||Best games of 2018||Resonair||November 9, 2018|
|Stardew Valley||Best indie game||ConcernedApe||February 26, 2016|
|A Hat in Time||NAVGTR Award Nominee||Gears for Breakfast||October 5, 2017|
|Katana Zero||BAFTA Games Award nominee||Askiisoft||April 18, 2019|
|Subsurface Circular||Not available||Mike Bithell||August 17, 2017|
|Streets of Rage 4||NAVGTR Award||DotEmu||April 30, 2020|
|Hyper Light Drifter||Independent Games Festival award for Excellence in Visual Art.||Heart Machine||March 31, 2016|
|Cult of the Lamb||Best Indie Game 2022||Massive Monster||August 11, 2022|
|Disco Elysium||The Game Award for Best Narrative
|ZA/UM||October 15, 2019|
|The Messenger||Best Independent Game||Sabotage Studio||August 30, 2018|
|Yooka Laylee Series||NAVGTR Award||Banjo-Kazooie||April 11, 2017|
|Cuphead||Outstanding Individual Achievement in Animation||Studio MDHR||September 29, 2017|
|Overcooked 2||BAFTA Award 2019||Team17||August 7, 2018|
|Crosscode||Most Fulfilling Community-Funded Game||Radical Fish Games||May 15, 2015|
|Death’s Door||Best Indie Game 2021||Acid Nerve||July 20, 2021|
|Celeste||The Game Award for Best Independent Game
|Maddy Makes Games||January 25, 2018|
|Tunic||Golden Joystick Awards||TUNIC Team||March 16, 2022|
|Bug Fables||Not Available||Moonsprout Games||November 21, 2019|
|Hollow Knight- Ori||Best Art award 2020||Team Cherry||February 24, 2017|
|Hades||BAFTA Games Award for Best Game
|Supergiant Games||December 6, 2018|
|Fire Emblem: Three Houses||The Game Awards for Best Sim/Strategy Game 2019||Intelligent Systems||July 26, 2019|
|Monster Hunter Rise||The best multiplayer game of the year 2021||Capcom||March 26, 2021|
|Super Smash Bros. Ultimate||The Game Award for Best Fighting Game
|BANDAI NAMCO Studios||December 7, 2018|
|The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild||The Game Award for Most Anticipated Game 2016||Nintendo Entertainment Planning & Development||March 3, 2017|
|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim||VGX Award for Best RPG 2011||Bethesda Game Studios||November 11, 2011|
|Mario Kart 8 Deluxe||The Game Award for Best Sports/Racing Game 2014||Nintendo Entertainment Analysis & Development||May 29, 2014|
|Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition||Perfect 40/40 score from Famitsu (an influential video game publication in Japan).||Square Enix||July 29, 2017|
Super Mario Maker 2
|Our Award||best family-friendly game|
side-scrolling platform game
If you love your 2D Mario games, you could play this for the rest of your life and still have most of the game left over. There are some solid Nintendo-made levels here, but the real meat is in the user-generated levels like that. You can play it forever, and even more importantly, you can make your share with friends, and you can make them however you like.
Super Mario Maker 2 is Nintendo’s follow-up to the wildly popular level-building game for the Wii U. This sequel comes with even more tools than its predecessor, allowing players to create levels as expansive as their imaginations. Whether you’re a die-hard Mario fan or want to create something unique, Super Mario Maker 2 has something to offer.
The game won the Best Family Game award and is easily one of the Best Switch Games.
- More tools and objects than ever before: Super Mario Maker 2 has an expansive set of tools and objects that allow you to create detailed levels.
- Online Multiplayer
- Story Mode
- Limited Building Space
- Unintuitive Interface
- Lack of Tutorials
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury
|Our Award||best innovative game|
Super Mario 3D World was a classic on the Wii U, and it’s a classic now. It has not aged a jot. It’s slightly better because the whole game can be faster if you want. Still, you’ve also got Bowser’s Fury thrown in, a different way of playing a Mario game, and honestly, it’s just fantastic. Everything being count themed is the icing on the cake.
This game perfectly combines classic, beloved Mario gameplay and the new and innovative elements of Bowser’s Fury. With brand new levels and power-ups, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury offers a unique and exciting Mario experience that will surely be a hit with fans of all ages!
The game won the NAVGTR Award and is the best switch game out there.
- Co-op: Super Mario, 3D World + Bowser’s Fury, features the same classic co-op experience that fans love, with the ability to have up to four players exploring the levels together.
- Repetition: Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury can become repetitive
- Complexity: The new Bowser’s Fury content may be a bit complex for younger or less experienced players.
- Limited Replayability
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
|Our Award||switch game with the most family-friendly word|
Kirby’s finally gone 3D, and it’s fabulous. The game looks cute and cuddly, and it is, and it’s appropriate for all ages. Still, toward the end, things get a little bit twisted in a family-friendly
It isn’t easy to describe, but the journey there is simply wonderful, in our opinion, and don’t tell anyone this Kirby’s never been better.
Kirby and the Forgotten Land is an action-packed game released for the Nintendo Switch. It follows Kirby as he must restore the forgotten land of clay by defeating monsters and bosses. The game has impressive visuals and music, and the controls are easy to pick up and use. The gameplay is fun; plenty of levels and bosses keep players entertained.
The game won The Game Award for Best Family Game 2022 and tops among the Best Switch Games in family games.
- Fun and exciting gameplay
- Easy to pick up and use controls
- Impressive visuals and music
- Plenty of levels and bosses to keep players entertained
- Some bosses can be quite challenging
- Not enough variety in the levels
- Limited replayability
Baba Is You
|Our Award||best indie puzzle game|
A unique puzzle game Baba is you. This is the first time you’ve played a puzzle game like this, but it works because, on each level, you can change the rules by swapping blocks around. It’s quite mind-bending, and it has its special way of just making you feel absolutely stupid, but once you figure things out, you get that Eureka moment, and to us, that’s what makes a good puzzle game.
Baba Is You is an innovative and challenging puzzle game that has become a cult classic since its debut in 2019. Players can manipulate the game’s rules by rearranging words, phrases, and objects to alter the outcome. This game has a simple but effective concept, charming visuals, and a rugged design. Despite its age, it still stands as an entertaining and thought-provoking experience.
The game was a BAFTA Games Award Nominee and is a top-tier best switch game.
- Unique and Innovative Gameplay
- Challenging Level Design
- Fun Visuals
- Limited Level Variety: While the levels are all quite challenging, there could be more variety in their design.
- Steep Learning Curve
- Repetitive Music: The soundtrack is limited and can become repetitive.
|Our Award||best switch sports game|
DodgeballAcademia combines an RPG with the often controversial 90s-school game dodgeball. We loved dodgeball as kids, but this game is just a strange blend of the two simultaneously; it works together perfectly. It has a variety of characters with unique skills. You Can level up. It’s got a nice little world to explore and a legitimate RPG.
The game takes place in an alternate world where dodgeball is a popular sport. Players are tasked with building a team of characters and competing against rival teams in an intense dodgeball battle. The game features a wide variety of characters, each with its unique abilities and playstyles. There are also several customization options, allowing players to fine-tune their teams to meet the needs of their playstyles.
The game won the NYX Game Award, this is a great game, and it deserves to be on the list of Best Switch Games.
- Fun and energetic way to get exercise
- Great way to foster teamwork and cooperation
- Low-cost and easy to learn
- It can be adapted to fit different fitness levels
- It can be dangerous if rules are not followed
- Can be competitive to the point of aggression
- Not suitable for those with physical limitations
- It can be hard to find enough players for a full game
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
|Our Award||best donkey kong game|
side-scrolling 2.5D platform game
If you still need to play this, you miss an absolute treat. This game is wonderful. It’s wonderful for so many reasons, and one of them is possible because it’s quite hard. Thankfully, this version does come with a different mode, the new funky mode, which takes the edge off some of the difficulty.
Still, it remains a decent challenge, and even if you want to play through it with the funky mode, we don’t blame you because this game is amazing. It irons out a lot of the issues with donkey kong country returns. It’s beautiful. It runs just completely flawlessly. It’s finally found its true home on the switch rather than the Wii.
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a side-scrolling platform game developed by Retro Studios and published by Nintendo. The game was released for the Nintendo Switch in May 2018.
The game was the Best Platformer in 2018 and ranked well among the best games on the switch.
- Excellent level design
- Wide variety of levels
- The levels are full of secrets, hidden collectibles, and bonus challenges.
- The game is very difficult
- The game has limited lives and continues
- Lack of content
|Our Award||game with the most rewarding exploration|
Out of many, this also is considered the Best Switch Game. Nintendo has again given mercury steam another pop at the old Metroid franchise and, indeed, chosen to retain many of the unique gameplay elements of their last outing while adding in a bunch of stealth. Adding a new mechanic like this to a well-loved, heavily scrutinized franchise is risky. Still, we’re pleased to report that the Spanish developer has handed in a phenomenal new entry in the series that we cannot stop playing.
Gameplay-wise, Metroid Dread is a fast-paced action-adventure game that emphasizes exploration and combat. As you explore the alien world, you’ll be able to upgrade your gear, open new areas, and discover hidden secrets. The vast array of weapons and upgrades available gives you many options, allowing you to customize your play style. The combat is also tight and responsive, with a variety of enemies to face off against. The game also won The Game Award for Best Action/Adventure 2021.
- Engaging Story
- Vibrant Graphics
- Exciting Gameplay:
- Lack of Content: Metroid Dread is a relatively short game, with only a handful of levels to play.
- Repetitive Combat
- No Online Multiplayer
The Wild at Heart
|Our Award||game with the most interesting puzzle|
open world exploration video game
The Wild At Heart is an exploration puzzle game that takes place in a magical deep woods; at the helm of this adventure is wake, who’s run away from home but has become woefully lost; the main gameplay is the utilization of woodland creatures called spritelings they act as a weapon. An extendable appendage spritelings can be thrown to explore higher elevations, break objects, gather materials, and fight malicious beasts.
Progress is controlled by a day and night cycle; you explore during the day and camp at night, avoiding the malicious nocturnal creatures that roam. The game won the Best Indie Game 2018 award and is the Best Nintendo Switch Game.
- Wild at Heart is a vibrant and visually stunning game with many interesting characters, locations, and features to explore.
- The game has a great soundtrack and sound effects that bring the game to life.
- Encourages exploration and creative problem-solving.
- Combat is fast-paced and engaging
- The game has an interesting plot
- Wild at Heart can be quite difficult for new players
- The game is not very long
- There are a few tedious fetch quests
- The game’s world can be a bit empty at times
Tetris Effect: Connected
|Our Award||best block-stacking puzzle game|
|Gameplay Type||co-op and competitive online and local multiplayer action game|
Tetris Effect: Connected is the latest installment in the classic block-stacking puzzle game, Tetris. This new game version brings an exciting twist to the traditional gameplay, adding multiplayer modes and enhanced visuals.
Across the 30 levels, you’ll visit the depths of space, the peaks of the snowy tundra, and the vast dry fields of the desert; this only scratches the surface. These levels are designed to synchronize the visual backdrop and music with the gameplay. Drop a tetromino and hear a chime; clear a line, and you’ll hear a bell, reach a certain score, and have the entire level evolve along with the speed level. This assortment of synchronization and the game’s presentation would make us feel genuine emotional reactions to the gameplay.
The game won the Best games of 2018 award and has a secure spot among our Best Switch Games.
- Graphics and Sound
- Level Creator
- Price: Tetris Effect: Connected is a bit pricey compared to other Tetris games, which could be a downside for some players.
- Difficulty: The game can be quite challenging, especially in multiplayer mode.
- Lack of Variety
|Our Award||best country-life RPG|
Stardew Valley is a game where you spend every waking moment of your life as a figurative and literal Santa Claus to try to win over a girl who eats rocks from the museum gift shop as a hobby. In between trying to convince Abigail that you’ll supply her with a lifetime of depression and amethyst, you farm, mine, socialize, fight monsters, and flirt with all the other villagers behind Abigail’s back.
The game won the Best indie game award and is worth playing in the Best Switch Games list. That being said, the game can sometimes be a bit too harsh for newer players. To counter that, do be sure to check out our Stardew Valley Guides, Tips & Walkthrough guide, and also, if you want to farm the best crops, then also check our Stardew Valley Best Spring Crops guide. Moreover, do you want to know more about the Stardew Valley Best Armors: Rings & Footwear? Just check out our guide!
- Engaging and immersive storyline
- Wide variety of activities and minigames
- Customizable character and farm
- Graphics can be outdated at times
- It can be repetitive and tedious
A Hat in Time
|Our Award||game with the best controls|
|Gameplay Type||third-person perspective open-world|
This game on our Best Switch Games list was supposed to be released in 2013, but apparently, all that extra time spent in the development of in’ helped to make a hat in time for the incredibly charming game that it ended up becoming with all the hard work of an international group of developers a handful of great voice actors and a whole bunch of different composers what started as a little in the project turned into a much larger and more exciting game.
A Hat in Time is a delightful game with charming visuals, great music, and tight platforming gameplay. Controls feel tight and responsive, and the various mechanics, like hat throwing and hook shooting, are fun. The levels are also impressively large and filled with secrets and collectibles. Each level offers something new and unique, from a train ride in a haunted forest to a wild ride on a zeppelin. The game was a NAVGTR Award Nominee.
- Colorful, vibrant visuals that bring the world alive.
- Smooth and responsive controls.
- An abundance of bonuses, collectibles, and secrets to discover.
- No online multiplayer.
- A few technical issues, such as slowdown and frame drops.
- The difficulty curve can be quite steep at times.
|Our Award||for best samurai game on switch|
|Gameplay Type||side-scrolling hack-and-slash|
Katana Zero is a must-play game on this Best Switch Games list. It is a blisteringly fast slash them-up with action that’s an absolute adrenaline rush which is appropriate because it’s largely about a neo-noir-inspired samurai who sticks a bunch of needles into his body. It wears its inspirations on the sleeves of its kimono, but katana zero refines the tried-and-true one-hit-kill formula in a manner that makes it feel fresh, exciting and innovative in surprising.
The story follows the life of a samurai-inspired assassin named “The Dragon,” who is sent on various missions to take out his targets. The game has a unique art style and a pixelated look reminiscent of classic 8-bit games. The soundtrack is mainly composed of synthwave, Which adds to the game’s atmosphere and helps set the tone. The game was a BAFTA Games Award nominee.
- Katana Zero has a unique art style that stands out from other games.
- The game features a deep, intriguing narrative with multiple endings.
- Katana Zero might be too difficult for some players as the difficulty ramps up quickly.
- The game is short, meaning some players might not get their money’s worth.
- The levels can be repetitive, which can take away from the overall experience.
|Our Award||game with the most compelling story|
text-based adventure game
The game continues to find ways to make simple dialogue-based gameplay interesting and exciting. We wouldn’t go so far as to say this game is challenging but solving a puzzle and overall mystery is satisfying, and while there may be a few puzzles, some could find.
Frustrating, the developers offer two different hint systems that do not affect the game ending. The game looks and sounds incredible with such limited space. They wanted to make the most of it. The story of Subsurface Circular is one of the best aspects of the game. It is a compelling and thought-provoking story that is both engaging and entertaining. The way the story unfolds is interesting, and the player is encouraged to think about the implications of their choices.
Subsurface Circular easily made it to our Best Switch Games list, and we recommend everyone should play it.
- Innovative gameplay with a unique format
- Compelling mystery and engaging story
- Fun and challenging puzzles
- Limited replayability
- No variability in the game’s dialogue
- Unintuitive controls for some puzzles
- Repetitive sound effects and music
Streets of Rage 4
|Our Award||best side-scrolling beat-them-up game|
side-scrolling beat them up
Streets of Rage 4, a brutally difficult side-scrolling arcade fighter that has to be beaten in one sitting, seems like it should have no business fitting into modern gaming. Yet, developer lizard Cube has found a way to not only make Streets of Rage work, but it has found a delicate
The balance between evoking the past and injecting the present to create a dazzling product that enhances both despite some inconsistencies, Streets of Rage 4 balances exhilarating and challenging old-school combat with modern graphical and structural touches. The story of Streets of Rage 4 follows a group of vigilantes seeking to rid their home city of the criminal underworld. Players can choose from four characters with unique abilities and fighting styles.
The game won the NAVGTR Award and is undoubtedly the best switch game for side-scrolling arcade fighters.
- Exceptional, vibrant graphics that bring the classic Sega feel to life.
- Exciting, intense, action-packed gameplay.
- The incredible soundtrack matches the intensity of the game.
- The difficulty level is quite high and can be intimidating to newcomers.
- Tutorials are lacking, making it difficult to learn the gameplay.
- No online multiplayer mode.
Hyper Light Drifter
|Our Award||most expansive game|
|Gameplay Type||action adventure RPG|
Hyper Light Drifter is stunning but challenging. The combat is fast, exhilarating, and technical, mostly due to the stellar encounter design. The enemies are a rogue’s gallery of little tabs, some melee, some range, some small, some beefy but none boring; they’ll surprise you with these compelling little quirks like the ninja frogs who moved just strangely enough.
Hyper Light Drifter is an expansive game that provides hours of intense and captivating gameplay. Players explore the world of Buried Time, a post–apocalyptic world filled with danger and mystery. As they journey through this land, they’ll encounter various enemies, deadly traps, and secrets, all while uncovering powerful weapons and upgrades to help them in their journey.
The game won the Independent Games Festival for Excellence in Visual Art award and earned a spot on our Best Switch Games list without a second thought.
- Beautiful pixel art visuals and an intriguing post-apocalyptic world.
- Creative and challenging combat mechanics.
- Immersive soundtrack and sound design.
- The story can be confusing and hard to follow, particularly for non-gamers.
- Combat can sometimes be frustrating due to the difficulty of punishing enemy AI.
- Limited enemy variety can lead to repetitiveness.
Cult of the Lamb
|Our Award||best sheep game|
|Gameplay Type||roguelike video game|
Cult of the Lamb places you as an adorable fluffy lamb harboring the soul of a Sinister ageless deity. It’s intense, it’s cute, it’s stressful, and it’s absolutely something that you need to try out. You begin your journey by being sacrificed by a woodland cult that is killing you because Prophecy stated that a lamb would be the vessel by which the one who Waits would make its glorious return.
The game won the Best Indie Game 2022 and is unsurprisingly on our Best Switch Games list.
Summoning demons can be tedious; to make it easy, check out our BEST Cult Of The Lamb Demons & How To Summon. Also, if you are new to the game, do check out our Cult Of The Lamb Guides, Tips, & Walkthrough, or learn how to raise faith can also be beneficial, so do check out our Cult Of The Lamb Faith: How To Raise guide.
- Beautiful pixel art visuals and an intriguing post-apocalyptic world.
- Creative and challenging combat mechanics.
- Immersive soundtrack and sound design.
- The story can be confusing and hard to follow, particularly for non-gamers.
- Combat can sometimes be frustrating due to the difficulty of punishing enemy AI.
- Limited enemy variety can lead to repetitiveness.
- High system requirements and can be glitchy on lower specs systems.
- Occasional frame rate drops and long loading times.
|Our Award||game with the unique setting|
|Gameplay Type||role-playing video game|
Disco Elysium is an RPG game developed by ZA/UM that quickly became a favorite among gamers. It has a unique setting, and the story offers a captivatingly deep role-playing experience. The game follows a detective trying to solve a murder on the rundown streets of Revachol. The game is set in an alternate version of a Soviet-style world, and the detective must use his skills and ability to talk to the various residents of the city to uncover the truth.
The game is unique and has a unique art style that sets it apart from other RPGs. It has a hand-drawn art style and a unique color palette, which helps to create an interesting and unique atmosphere. The characters are all detailed and interesting, and the dialogue is well-written and witty. The game features various skills, and the player must use these to progress through the game. These skills range from being able to talk to characters and using investigative skills to find clues.
- The detailed and immersive RPG world
- Richer and more complex character development than most RPGs
- Original and quirky story and characters
- Highly replayable with different outcomes
- Steep learning curve
- Difficult to navigate at times
- It can be overwhelming for more casual players
|Our Award||best 8-bit graphics game|
The Messenger’s iconic 8-bit graphics, innovative level design, and engaging storyline will keep you amused for hours. The game starts with a lone ninja protecting his community from an ancient evil. As you play The Messenger, you’ll unlock new regions and improve your skills. As you play, you’ll encounter a variety of locations due to the game’s intriguing level design. Players may use combos and special attacks to beat foes in the game’s fighting system.
With an 8-bit look, the game’s graphics and aesthetics are excellent. The music, written by Rainbowdragoneyes, matches the action well. Due to this, the game won the Best Independent Game award and has a robust spot among our Best Switch Games list.
- Pros Fun and Challenging Gameplay — The Messenger’s platforming and puzzle-solving will keep players interested for hours.
- Unique Retro-Style Aesthetics — The Messenger’s visuals are influenced by 8-bit and 16-bit games, delivering a compelling experience.
- Time Traveling Story – The Messenger’s time-traveling story is fun and interesting.
- Occasional Frame Rate Difficulties — Messenger may experience frame rate issues when multiple enemies are on-screen.
- Most players finish The Messenger in eight to ten hours.
- Messenger lacks internet multiplayer, limiting its replayability.
Yooka Laylee Series
|Our Award||game with the most challenging puzzles|
Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair abandon 3D to provide a focused, well-paced side-scrolling platformer reminiscent of Donkey Kong Country (another game members of Playtonic worked on). Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair modernize 2D platforming in the right ways to provide a fun and interesting experience. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair opens strong After a brief tutorial, the game drops you into the Impossible Lair, a massive, tough level with no checkpoints and treacherous traps and monster confrontations.
How can you overcome the Impossible Lair’s difficult obstacles? Complete major game stages for a chance. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair feature well-paced 2D platforming action through more than 20 levels. You are completing each stage grants you one additional health point for the Lair.
Lastly, the game won the NAVGTR Award and played an important role in being the best switch game.
- Yooka-Laylee is an action-adventure game featuring colorful characters, puzzles, and activities.
- A unique 3D platforming system provides players with a lot of versatility in approaching each level.
- Some players may find the game tough.
- The game’s camera sometimes makes it hard to maneuver.
- Yooka-voice Laylee’s acting may be irritating.
|Our Award||game with the hardest bosses|
|Gameplay Type||classic run and gun action game|
Cuphead has one of the best graphics, crisp controls, and distinctive music, making it an engaging game. Cuphead and Mugman, two brothers, bargain with the devil to survive. They need soul contracts from other characters. Bosses and stages become harder as they play, and the final boss is the hardest player would need to fight.
For beginners, the game can be quite punishing. Therefore, if you want to be the best at it, check out our Cuphead Guide: 10 Tips For Beginners. For completionists, they can check out our How To 100% Cuphead: All Trophies & Achievements.
Cuphead is a great platformer that all fans should play. Its stunning graphics, distinctive soundtrack, and hard gameplay make it memorable. Due to this, the game won Outstanding Individual Achievement in Animation, which makes it the best switch game on this list, or at least one of them.
- Cuphead’s art style resembles 1930s cartoons. The game’s peppy jazz tune and exquisite hand-drawn visuals are excellent.
- Boss battles are tough yet fun. It’s satisfying to defeat a difficult boss.
- Co-Op Mode: Playing with a buddy adds enjoyment. Explore and battle bosses together.
- Cuphead’s difficulty might frustrate players. The game demands patience and practice to conquer bosses.
- The game has a few stages and bosses. They’re fun, but additional substance would be nice.
- Lack of Story: The game lacks a storyline, which may leave gamers seeking more background. The game is fun, but a plot would enhance it.
|Our Award||best kitchen game|
|Gameplay Type||cooperative cooking simulation|
Team 17 and Ghost Town Games created Overcooked 2. It is 2016’s hit Overcooked’s sequel. The game boasts bright, cartoonish visuals and a joyful, amusing tone.
You and your buddies must work together to cook meals in a messy kitchen against the time. Under pressure, chop, fry, bake and serve meals while avoiding flames, rats, and obstacles. The game is the best cooking switch game and, due to that, won the BAFTA Award 2019.
You may play locally or online with friends or strangers. Playing online with folks from across the globe is fantastic. Overcooked 2 is great. It’s exciting and replayable. Overcooked 2 promises frantic, cooperative, culinary fun with friends or strangers.
- Fun and Engaging Gameplay – Overcooked 2’s many stages and hard recipes keep the game interesting.
- Co-op and Online Play – Playing with up to four players locally or online enhance the game.
- Overcooked 2 offers over 50 dishes for extra variety and difficulty.
- Colorful graphics and music offer an engaging gaming experience.
- Frustration – The game is hard, particularly with others.
- Lack of Diversity – The game has some variety, but primarily the same stages and recipes.
- The game has no plot, which may frustrate gamers.
- No Cross-Platform Play – games cannot be played across platforms.
|Our Award||game with the most likable characters|
action role-playing video game
Crosscode is an action-packed, story-driven RPG with complex, strategic real-time combat and 16-bit SNES visuals. It has several riddles and combat difficulties, an interesting tale, and a great soundtrack.
Lea, a young amnesiac, wakes up in a strange world with the power to solve old mysteries. Lea is on an epic adventure to discover her past with the aid of her AI friends and other characters. It has great riddles, exploration, and fighting. The puzzles vary from basic grid-based to complicated logic-based. Combat moves quickly and demands planning. Side missions and trinkets keep you active. It has Beautiful visuals and evocative music. The characters are likable, and the voice acting is excellent. Due to these reasons, the game won the Most Fulfilling Community-Funded Game award.
- Crosscode is a captivating game.
- The game has gorgeous 3D visuals.
- Crosscode has an excellent fighting system with a variety of enemies and obstacles.
- The game has a huge world, interesting people, and many side tasks.
- It’s replayable.
- Starting the game might be challenging.
- Crosscode is lengthy.
- Some puzzle answers are cryptic.
- The game has technical concerns.
|Our Award||best horror game on switch|
|Gameplay Type||isometric action-adventure game|
Death’s Door is a horror-themed puzzle-solving adventure game. This F1 Interactive and Finji game casts you as an undercover investigator who must solve the riddle behind a strange door that conceals the terrible mysteries of a long-forgotten past. Players must use their wits and detective abilities to solve the Door’s and world’s mysteries in a bizarre, enigmatic world. The game’s beautiful graphic design and distinct terror and suspense keep players on their toes. The game has creepy music.
Death’s Door’s gameplay is easy yet rewarding. The player must complete puzzles and challenges to advance the tale and reveal the Door’s mysteries. Simple logic puzzles to sophisticated riddles that need creative thinking are available. The puzzles are creative and complement the game’s concept and plot. Due to these feats, the game won the Best Indie Game 2021 award.
The game’s fighting system involves detective work to beat enemies. Combat is difficult and demands players to use their brains and instincts to defeat enemies.
- Death’s Door lets players intriguingly explore life and death.
- It’s a terrific approach to push yourself and face your worries.
- The game fosters innovative thinking and rigorous decision-making.
- Death’s Door may be too terrifying for some gamers
- Game rules are complex and annoying.
- The game becomes monotonous and uninteresting.
|Our Award||best climbing game|
|Gameplay Type||two-dimensional platform game|
Nintendo Switch platformer Celeste is difficult yet rewarding. Celeste, by Matt Makes Games, follows Madeline, a young lady motivated to climb a mountain and conquer hurdles. The game has challenging platforming, a lively graphic design, and a great Lena Raine soundtrack. Madeline’s self-discovery, struggle, and success are captivating.
Celeste is difficult but rewarding. The game’s complicated control mechanism may be difficult to understand, but mastering it lets players easily climb the mountain. The game invites exploration and experimenting with platforming difficulties from basic leaps to sophisticated riddles.
The game’s “b-side” mode is harder. To proceed, players must accomplish side-quests and riddles. These side-quests and puzzles are difficult yet rewarding. Celeste is a great Switch game. Its plot, gameplay, and aesthetic are captivating. The game is difficult, but mastering it is quite rewarding, and it has also won The Game Award for Best Independent Game award.
- Innovative art.
- Exciting music.
- Compelling platforming.
- Story-based gaming.
- Unique experience
- Beginners may struggle.
- Few replays.
- Short campaign.
- Few frame drops.
- No leaderboards.
|Our Award||game with the unique enemies|
|Gameplay Type||Action, Adventure, RPG|
Finji’s Nintendo Switch game Tunic is exciting and immersive. The game is an action-adventure where you control a tiny fox-like creature in a dangerous world. Its art style is vibrant and detailed, with lush environments and a charming soundtrack. Players must explore the world, defeat enemies, solve puzzles, and find secrets. The game’s real-time combat requires strategic thinking as you dodge enemy attacks and use melee and ranged attacks.
It also has many locations to explore on a large world map. Each area has unique enemies, puzzles, and secrets to discover. As you keep grinding, New weapons, armor, and items will aid your quest as you progress. Due to all these mechanics and good things about the game, the game won the Golden Joystick award.
- Unique art style – Tunic’s work is vivid, lively, and appealing.
- Challenging gameplay — Tunic’s gameplay is fast-paced and full of riddles and enemies.
- Weaponry – Tunic’s weapons let players tailor their playstyle.
- Entertaining tale – Tunic has many intriguing characters and storyline twists.
- The primary tale of Tunic lasts around 10 hours.
- No post-game material or modes limit replayability.
- No difficulty options – Tunic has no difficulty levels, making it hard to customize your game.
- Technical difficulties – Tunic has had frame rate dips and glitches.
|Our Award||for the best insect-themed game|
|Gameplay Type||adventure RPG|
Bug Fables is a highly fun game to play. Its insect-themed universe has puzzles, platforming, and exploration. Vi, Kabbu, and Leif are adventures seeking the Everlasting Sapling. They must navigate complex locations, fight powerful enemies, and solve riddles to succeed.
The turn-based warfare system is simple yet difficult to master. Each character has special skills that may be combined for effective tactics. Medals and exclusive goodies keep gamers coming back.
Bug Fables’ colorful colors and cheerful melody are wonderful. The game’s sophisticated, diverse challenges encourage innovative thinking. The game’s characters have fascinating backstories and personalities. Due to all this, the game is regarded as the best indie switch game.
- Strategy-based turn-based fighting.
- Innovative team mechanics let you utilize many characters with different skills.
- A vibrant world with attractive people and funny banter.
- Puzzles and mysteries.
- Entertaining minigames and challenges.
- Players may find combat overly simple.
- Difficulty spikes may frustrate.
- Some places have limited exploration and growth.
- Some puzzles are too hard.
- Technical challenges might slow progress.
Hollow Knight- Ori
|Our Award||best Metroidvania game|
platform-adventure Metroidvania video game
Team Cherry’s 2017 action-adventure game Hollow Knight. It’s a gorgeous Metroidvania set in Hallownest. As a little, quiet knight, players explore the enormous subterranean realm, unlock its mysteries, and battle swarms of dangerous monsters.
Hand-drawn visuals and intricate animations make the game beautiful. Every place has mysteries to discover. With powerful enemies and precise platforming, the game is demanding. Hollow Knight’s tale intrigues. Players will tour Hallownest’s ruins to learn about the kingdom’s fall. They’ll encounter various characters—some friendly, some not—who will offer them missions and explain the game’s narrative.
Hollow Knight has mixed combat. The game has several weapons, spells, and opponents to combat. However, massive numbers of enemies and sudden difficulty spikes make battle challenging. Hollow Knight is great. It looks, plays, and has an intriguing tale and characters. It takes effort and practice to overcome the battle. Hollow Knight is an immersive, gratifying experience.
- Outstanding art style
- Eerie soundtrack
- Secret-filled planet.
- Multi-character narrative.
- Certain boss fights may be too tough for certain players.
- Fast travel is restricted.
- The map system may confuse players.
|Our Award||best roguelike video game|
|Gameplay Type||roguelike video game|
Supergiant Games produced Hades, a top-down roguelike action role-playing game for Windows, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. Zagreus, the eternal prince of the Underworld, escapes his father, Hades, the underworld deity, in the game.
The game is recognized for its distinctive graphic style, furious action, and rich and engaging plot. Character customization lets players enhance their weapons, armor, and talents. Beginners may rapidly master the game’s controls. The game easily became the best switch game upon launch.
The game has a great soundtrack, including classical and current music. Its distinctive voice advises players and comments on their progress. Do you want to know more about our best weapons in the game? Check out our Hades Weapons Tier List: Best Weapons Ranked.
- Hades’ Underworld, gods, and creatures are fascinating.
- Fast-paced combat with customizable weapons and bonuses.
- Story mode captivates with the gods’ conflicts.
- Supergiant Games have many difficulty levels for players.
- The game’s gorgeous and evocative graphics immerse you.
- The game’s randomness might lead to grinding for the same stuff.
- Newcomers find the game tough.
- The game’s unpredictability makes advancement in certain sections difficult.
- Roguelike characteristics may make the game tedious for certain players.
- Some gamers are discouraged by the game’s complexity.
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
|Our Award||the best role-playing video game|
tactical role-playing video game
Intelligent Systems and Koei Tecmo developed and Nintendo released Fire Emblem 16, the first Nintendo Switch game in the series. In Fire Emblem: Three Houses, players teach in the Garreg Mach Monastery’s Officer’s Academy. The player must guide pupils from one of three houses—Black Eagles, Blue Lions, or Golden Deer—to victory in the incoming conflict.
The game’s extensive narrative mode requires players to make crucial choices that change the planet and its people. Since there are just a few days to finish the game, players must manage their time. The game has several weapons, goods, classes, and skills.
The game’s tactical fighting mechanism lets players outsmart their opponents. Players may customize and strategize in the game. Fire Emblem: Three Houses impresses a lot. Its plot, battle, and customization are extremely fun. The game is widely believed to be the best strategy game on the switch, backed by the fact that it won The Game Awards for Best Sim/Strategy Game award.
- Lovely art and visuals.
- Tactical battle.
- Many character classifications and skills.
- Player-choice tale progression.
- Diverse conversation and character interactions.
- Some difficulty curves are steep.
- The game is long.
- The game’s map may become crowded.
- The game lacks introductory assistance.
- Online multiplayer is absent.
Monster Hunter Rise
|Our Award||best monster hunting game|
Monster Hunter Rise is Cap com’s newest Nintendo Switch Monster Hunter game. It mixes open-world exploration and crafting with action-based hack n’ slash. The game has several creatures, weapons, and stuff.
Amazing visuals and a living planet. Small creatures to huge monsters need strategy and expertise to defeat. It is smooth and responsive. The game’s resources and upgrades may personalize each weapon, bow, or heavy bow gun. The rich crafting system lets you make strong weapons and goods to aid your trip. Customize your character by making armor and stuff.
Monster Hunter Rise is great and a must-have for fans of the series. The setting, combat, and crafting system are captivating. The game has an online mode where players may team up to fight hard monsters. This incredible feature won the Best multiplayer game of 2021 and is undoubtedly the best switch game for monster hunting. Check out our Monster Hunter Rise Wiki, Walkthrough & Guides section for more content or walkthroughs.
- Lovely graphics and animation
- Diverse weapons and armor
- Larger open-world environments
- Hunt and tame new creatures
- New and old gameplay mechanics
- No new modes or content
- Weapon and armor balance concerns
- Character customization is limited
- Fewer weapons than in previous games
- Bugs and the frame dips
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
|Our Award||best fighting game|
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, a Nintendo Switch fighting game, is awesome. It’s the sixth Super Smash Bros. game and features characters like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and more. Seventy-four combatants are available in the game. This contains new and returning characters. Each character features distinct actions, powers, and playstyles. There’s something for everyone with so many characters. Classic Mode, Smash, and Spirit Battles are other game modes. Online modes include Squad Strike, Tournament, and the Smash World app.
Many states are in the game. Some recurring stages are among over 100. Different rules and dangers make certain levels distinctive. The game has gorgeous graphics. Characters and stages are nicely produced, and the animations are clean and sharp. It includes a vast cast, several game types, gorgeous graphics, and an amazing soundtrack. It’s essential for fighting game fans. Furthermore, the Nintendo classic, often thought of as the best switch game, won The Game Award for Best Fighting Game 2019.
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has a massive cast, including gaming legends.
- The game’s several game types let you play your way.
- Due to its many game elements, newcomers may find Super Smash Bros. Ultimate intimidating.
- The game’s chaos makes it hard to follow.
- The game sometimes lags and lacks framerate.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
|Our Award||best open-world game|
Breath of the Wild is one of the most massive and immersive games of our age. Hyrule’s landscapes and textures are gorgeous. The game promotes exploration and pleasure with various activities and side missions.
Players may experiment with weapons, combinations, and tactics in the fluid battle system. The game pushes players to exploit the surroundings and has incredible adversary diversity and AI. Puzzles challenge and satisfy. A unique culinary system lets players blend ingredients to make healthy dishes that restore health and give other perks.
It’s nicely written and ends well. The primary quest is long and needs numerous sites to complete. Some side tasks are necessary to get strong goods. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a great game that will keep gamers engaged. It’s rich and deep. Breath of the Wild is a must-have for series fans because of its amazing aesthetics, intriguing plot, and diverse gameplay. Along with many other games, it won The Game Award for Most Anticipated Game in 2016.
- Explore a vast, colorful universe.
- Creative and simple handicraft.
- Innovative puzzle-solving and warfare.
- Some controls are complicated.
- Some game regions have frame rate dips.
- Certain players find some problems too hard.
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
|Our Award||best medieval game|
|Gameplay Type||action role-playing game|
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a massive open-world role-playing game full of intriguing people, monsters, and missions. In this engaging environment, players may pick from many races and classes, personalize their characters, improve their talents, and go on epic adventures.
Skyrim’s visuals and landscapes are among the best in video games. The huge world has several missions and NPCs to engage with. Players may combat monsters, form guilds, make things, and more. The game’s comprehensive crafting system lets players make unique weapons like the Bound Bow, armor, and enchantments.
Skyrim’s music and sound design are among the greatest in video game history. With recognizable characters, the voice acting is also great. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a classic fantasy role-playing game. The game from early 2012 is widely considered the best switch game as it has won many awards, including the VGX Award for Best RPG 2011.
Do be sure to check out our Skyrim Alchemy Recipes guides, as it has proved to be a great help for old and new players alike.
- Beautiful open world with varied landscapes and locales.
- Quests, people, and storylines galore.
- Customizable talents and bonuses.
- Modern games have better graphics.
- Combat is clumsy.
- Bugs are common.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
|Our Award||best racing game|
|Gameplay Type||racing game|
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the ultimate version of the Nintendo Switch game. Even if you played the Wii U version, this edition has all the original material and a few additions. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe’s better graphics and handling are its draw.
The increased frame rate and graphics make the game seamless in portable and docked modes. Inkling Girl and Boy, more karts, and courses are also in the game. Grand Prix, the primary game mode, involves four races versus computer-controlled competitors. Time Trials are practice races. Race up to 11 other players online or locally. The online option is surprisingly decent, although matchmaking needs improvement.
The game’s skill-luck balance makes racing exciting. You may drive cleanly or use a variety of gadgets to get an advantage. Due to these reasons, the game won The Game Award for Best Sports/Racing Game 2014.
To gain an edge against your opponents, do be sure to check out our Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Tier List so that you can know your characters better!
- Fun and entertaining racing with many characters.
- Various cars and tracks
- Support eight local and internet players.
- New Battle Mode courses
- Few characters
- Only friends or strangers may play online.
- Racing AI is aggressive.
Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition
|Our Award||game best soundtrack|
|Gameplay Type||role-playing video game|
The newest Dragon Quest game is XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition has a story-based adventure system, orchestrated music, and great graphics. Its combat is similar to the original game. Real-time and turn-based combat is hard and fun. Many side-quests and prizes await. The reincarnated hero saves the world from darkness. The tale and people are captivating. The game’s vivid universe has many intriguing places to explore.
The Definitive Edition has quicker loading times and customizable difficulty levels. The Nintendo Switch and PC versions may also cross-save. Finally, Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition is a terrific addition to the franchise and worth playing. The quality of life upgrades enhance its fantastic plot and exciting gameplay. The game is certainly the best on the switch, if not one of them.
- Improved graphics and resolution
- A newly composed music, updated camera system, additional side missions, and the option to switch between 2D and 3D modes have been included.
- A “Draconian Quest” difficulty option makes the game easier for newbies.
- The “Definitive Edition” contains all previously available extra and downloadable material.
- The game doesn’t always save correctly, making switching between 2D and 3D modes problematic.
- Many side missions and events might be overlooked, detracting from the experience.
- The game is extensive and time-consuming.
We hope you enjoyed the 35 Best Switch Games list and found it worthwhile! As the Switch offers so many different games, it can be difficult knowing which ones you should start with. We hope this list helps you hunt for new games to add to your collection!
Was this article helpful?
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍